The American Goat Federation promotes and facilitates the development of all segments of the goat industry including dairy, meat and fiber, by encouraging sound public policy, enhancing production and marketing of goat products, and promoting research beneficial to our member organizations and all producers.
Approved 1-23-10 Nashville ASI Meeting
INFORMATION ABOUT THE 2021 PROGRAM WILL BE POSTED THIS COMING OCTOBER.
$1,000 Scholarships Available for ages 17-21
$500 Scholarships Available for ages 12-16
[funded by a Cooperative Agreement with USDA/APHIS]
To encourage education and development of youth involved in the goat industry and who hold a current membership, or whose parents or guardians are members in The American Goat Federation or any of its member organizations. [MEMBER ORGANIZATIONS: Alabama Meat Goat & Sheep Producers, American Boer Goat Association, American Dairy Goat Association, American Kiko Goat Association, Cashmere Goat Association, Hawaii Sheep & Goat Association, North American Pack Goat Association, North American Savannah Association, Texas Sheep & Goat Raisers Association] Find out More
The AMERICAN GOAT INITIATIVE
Mission: Advance the US Goat Industry through Education, Scientific Research and Collaboration.
MEMBER SERVICES FROM AGF
- Free Marketing Page for Goats and Goat Products on the AGF Website that links to Goatzz.com where the information will also appear. AGF has partnered with Goatzz.com to create a stronger goat industry through our combined marketing efforts. On-site searching of member farms and member goats for sale is available. Each AGF member gets their own farm profile, plus other things and it is all free.
- Free excel-based Goat Production Recordkeeping and Performance Program for recording information about members' goats. The program, GHIP-AGF (Goat Herd Improvement Program) was developed by Dr. Ken Andries of Kentucky State University, a member of our Advisory Council and Past President of AGF. The program is personalized for each producer, and the program includes all information required by the Scrapie Eradication Program.
- Upgrade to Go360 bioTrack Program for discounted price, an advanced Recordkeeping & Performance Program designed and maintained by AgSights. AGF has partnered with AgSights to offer the Go360 bioTrack Program to our members for a discount off the price through February 28, 2020.
- Opportunities to add opinions and needs to national surveys that determine how federal money is spent (money that comes from the taxes goat producers pay).
- Opportunities to help find, initiate and support research that is beneficial to their operations.READ MORE
News of Note
- Small Scale US Goat Operations Report
- U.S. Senate approves FY2020 Appropriations Bill, following the House of Representatives vote on Tuesday, marking final passage of the legislation and averting the possibility of a government shutdown pending the president's signature. Of Interest to the American goat industry the bill includes funding for Wildlife Services damage management and methods development at or above fiscal year 2019 levels, funding for the Scrapie Eradication Program through USDA/APHISat roughly 2019 levels, funding the U.S. Sheep Experiment Station, and providing a delay on the implementation of Electronic Logging Devices for livestock haulers through Sept. 30, 2020.
- Korean group of meat buyers to visit US sheep and goat farms this year. AGF member ranches will be included in the visit.
- An international team of scientists has said that they may have identified the origin of mad cow disease. BSE belongs to a group of rare neurodegenerative diseases such as Scrapie that are caused by mysterious infectious pathogens that affect humans and other animals. For a study published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences*, the team of scientists investigated the origins of BSE by injecting a particular variant of scrapie disease into mice which have been genetically modified with bovine DNA. Learn More
- Reps Smucker and Craig introduced Bipartisan Bill providing regulatory relief to Livestock Haulers. AGF wrote letter of support outlining goat industry needs for this bill.
- Goats and grazing cattle on different lands is paying off for producers in Iowa. Learn More
- FDA Releases Annual Report on Antibiotic Sales for Animals in 2018 Learn More
- Meat is Crucial for Feeding the Planet and Going Vegan is Not More Green, Say Scientists at Edinburgh University. "Often the argument is made that going vegan would minimize land use, and the modelling studies that have been done demonstrate that this is not the case." Professor Wilson said more research is needed.
- Kansas State University is offering a Graduate Certificate Program in Animal Health Regulatory Affairs. The program provides 15 credit hours that combine knowledge of animal science and veterinary medicine with skills needed to navigate government processes and regulations.
- August 14-15, 2020: Texas Sheep & Goat Expo, San Angelo, Texas. AGF will exhibit and be in attendance.
- September 18-19, 2020: Pedigree International Seminar and 1st South African Savanna Goat Auction held in the USA, (seminar on the 18th, live broadcast auction on the 19th), Springfield, Missouri. AGF will exhibit and be in attendance. More Later
- Sepember 25-26, 2020: 2020 Spanish Goat Gathering, Murfreesboro, TN. More Info
- October 5-12, 2020: American Dairy Goat Assoc Annual Convention, Syracuse, New York.
- October 28-31, 2020: National FFA Convention, Indianapolis, Indiana. The 2020 Convention will be a virtual event. AGF will exhibit.
Coxiellosis,Commonly Referred to as Q Fever
Johne's (pronounced: “YO-knees”)