The American Goat Federation works to unify, improve and advance the American goat industry in an effort to assist producers achieve maximum success. AGF represents the interests of more than 150 organizations and thousands of producers engaged in the sustainable production and marketing of goat milk, meat, fiber, breeding stock and grazing services across the United States. The American Dairy Goat Association, American Boer Goat Association and the Texas Sheep and Goat Raisers are all members of AGF. Members of AGF can participate in government and research surveys that can affect the goat industry, receive reduced fees for AGF Seminars, and help support various activities of other goat-related organizations. AGF promotes the development of all segments of the goat industry including dairy, meat and fiber, by encouraging sound public policy, enhancing production and marketing of goat products, and promoting research beneficial to our member organizations and all producers. Read More
The AMERICAN GOAT INITIATIVE
Mission: Advance the US Goat Industry through Education, Scientific Research and Collaboration.
Vision: Improve industry knowledge, vision and growth by educating producers, processors, distributors, marketers and consumers. Increase efficient production while ensuring product safety and food security by supporting and coordinating scientific research projects that meet the A.G.I. Mission.
The American Goat Federation promotes and facilitates the development of all segments of the goat industry including dairy, meat and fiber, by encouraging sound public policy, enhancing production and marketing of goat products, and promoting research beneficial to our member organizations and all producers.
Approved 1-23-10 Nashville ASI Meeting
MEMBER SERVICES FROM AGF
- Free Marketing Page for Goats and Goat Products on the AGF Website that links to Goatzz.com where the information will also appear. AGF has partnered with Goatzz.com to create a stronger goat industry through our combined marketing efforts. On-site searching of member farms and member goats for sale is available. Each AGF member gets their own farm profile, plus other things and it is all free.
- Free excel-based Goat Production Recordkeeping and Performance Program for recording information about members' goats. The program, GHIP-AGF (Goat Herd Improvement Program) was developed by Dr. Ken Andries of Kentucky State University, a member of our Advisory Council and Past President of AGF. The program is personalized for each producer, and the program includes all information required by the Scrapie Eradication Program.
- Upgrade to Go360 bioTrack Program for discounted price, an advanced Recordkeeping & Performance Program designed and maintained by AgSights. AGF has partnered with AgSights to offer the Go360 bioTrack Program to our members for a discount off the price through February 28, 2020.
- Opportunities to add opinions and needs to national surveys that determine how federal money is spent (money that comes from the taxes goat producers pay).
- Opportunities to help find, initiate and support research that is beneficial to their operations.
News of Note
- Earlier this year, the U.S. House Natural Resource Committee
approved legislation introduced by congresesmen Sean Duffy (Wisconsin) and Dan Newhosue (Washington) that would return management of gray wolves to state control.
- Senator Bill Sasse (Nebraska)
reintroduced the Transporting Livestock Across America Safety Act, saying that the one-size-fits-all federal regulations endanger the health and welfare of livestock.
- First Responders in Virginia are set to learn about handling livestock during natural or man-made disasters. the Virginia State Animal Response Team is offering two days of training geared towards animal control officers, police and fire professionals, veterinary professionals and Virginia cooperative extension agents.
- Women on the Farm
A 2007 census showed 2 out of every 10 farms in the United States were run by women. the latest agriculture census in 2017 showed that 1/3 were women. snd that 56 percent of all farms had at least one female decision maker.
Johne's (pronounced: “YO-knees”)
- October 4-5, 2019: NKR's Corn Country Commercial Goat Conference, Harrison County Fairgrounds, Corydon, Indiana.
- October 11, 2019, 1-4PM: USDA Sheep & Goat Sector Meeting, Washington, DC. - AGF Directors Tom Boyer and Bob Buchholz will attend and provide goat industry issues.
- October 15-17, 2019: 9th Annual Antibiotic Symposium, National Institute of Animal Agriculture (Communicating the Science of Responsible Antibiotic Use in Animal Agriculture), Ames Iowa.
- October 15-16, 2019: Hawaii Agriculture conference, Hawaii Agriculture Center. AGF will have goat industry information and flyers available at this event. Learn More
- October 15-20, 2019: American Dairy Goat Association National Convention, Boise, Idaho. AGF Executive Director Anita Dahnke will attend and man the AGF Exhibit Display.
- October 18-20, 2019: Goat Days & Boeranza Shows in California. AGF Director Kenny Elwood will have goat industry information and flyers on display.
- October 19, 2019: American Goat Federation Board Meeting at ADGA Convention, Boise, Idaho.
- October 28-30, 2019: USAHA (United States Animal Health Association Annual Meeting), Providence, Rhode Island.
AGF Director, Randy Dusek, will attend.
- October 30-November 2, 2019: FFA National Convention, Indianapolis, Indiana. Executive Director, Anita Dahnke will man the AGF Exhibit Booth.
- November 2-3, 2019: Nebraska Sheep & Goat Producers Assoc. State Meeting, Curtis, Nebraska. Learn More
- November 9-10, 2019: Small Ruminant Management & Fiber Conference, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. Learn MoreThe Cashmere Association, an AGF Organization Member, will man an AGF Booth.
- January 22, 2020: AGF Annual Meeting (8AM to 5PM) held in conjunction with ASI Convention, Scottsdale Plaza Resort, Scottsdale, Arizona. AGF Members are welcome to attend.
- January 22-25, 2020: American Sheep Industry Annual Convention, Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Febrruary 20-23, 2020: International Society of Infectious Diseases (ISID) 19th International Congress on Infectious Diseases (ICID), Lumpur, Malaysia. Learn More
- September 18-19, 2020: Pedigree International Seminar and 1st South African Savanna Goat Auction held in the USA, (seminar on the 18th, live broadcast auction on the 19th), Springfield, Missouri. AGF will exhibit and be in attendance.
Coxiellosis,Commonly Referred to as Q Fever