The American Goat Federation works to unify, improve and advance the American goat industry in an effort to assist producers achieve maximum success. AGF represents the interests of more than 150 organizations and thousands of producers engaged in the sustainable production and marketing of goat milk, meat, fiber, breeding stock and grazing services across the United States. The American Dairy Goat Association, American Boer Goat Association and the Texas Sheep and Goat Raisers are all members of AGF. Members of AGF can participate in government and research surveys that can affect the goat industry, receive reduced fees for AGF Seminars, and help support various activities of other goat-related organizations. AGF promotes the development of all segments of the goat industry including dairy, meat and fiber, by encouraging sound public policy, enhancing production and marketing of goat products, and promoting research beneficial to our member organizations and all producers. Read More
The American Goat Federation promotes and facilitates the development of all segments of the goat industry including dairy, meat and fiber, by encouraging sound public policy, enhancing production and marketing of goat products, and promoting research beneficial to our member organizations and all producers.
Approved 1-23-10 Nashville ASI Meeting
News of Note
- AGF is offering four $1,000.00 Youth Scholarships for 2018. Read More or Download an Application
- VGL at UC Davis offering genetic testing for Scrapie Resistance in Goats. NeoGen developing genetic testing for Scrapie Resistance in Goats. Read More
- On July 1 Dr. Langston Hull assumed the Director position for the Sheep, Goat, Cervid, and Equine Commodity Center at USDA.
Scrapie Eradication Program & Q Fever Education
Scrapie is a fatal, degenerative disease and costs sheep and goat producers over $20 million dollars each year through production losses, increased cost and loss of export revenue because the lack of a comprehensive program to identify diseased goats prevents goat producers from exporting breeding stock and other goat products unless they are enrolled in the voluntary Scrapie Eradication Program. FIND OUT WHY You Should Care About Scrapie
Q Fever is a highly contagious, chronic disease causing abortion storms in goats, often without any sign of problems before the abortion. Although affected does become immune, they shed the bacteria at high levels particularly during birth in following years. Q Fever is contagious to humans and can be caught just by breathing contaminated air, often miles away from the source. READ MORE about the Hidden Menace of Q Fever
AGF needs your membership and support so we can continue to meet the needs of all producers and relay information about goat producers' concerns and challenges to the USDA and others who make decisions that affect our industry. With the exception of a few grants; sponsors, membership fees, and donations fund the programs we provide and the expense of representing the interest of all goat producers in the United States. Whether you are part of an organization with twenty or hundreds of members; or an individual producer; or a business or organization that provides products or services to goat owners.
Please Help Us Grow the Goat Industry
- July 13, 2018: Cedar County Livestock Skill-A-Thon will be held in Tipton, Iowa.
- July 14, 2018: South Dakota Goat Workshop will be held in Brookings, South Dakota.south dakota Goats Workshop
- July 19-21, 2018: Texas Sheep & Goat Raisers 103rd Annual Convention will be held at the Y.O. Hotel
- August 17-18, 2018: Texas Sheep & Goat Expo will be held at the San Angelo Fairgrounds, Texas. Read More
- September 16-18, 2018: AGF will exhibit at the National Goat Conference being held at Tuskegee University in Alabama. Tom Boyer, AGF Director, will be a keynote speaker. Read More
- September 19, 2018: AGF Representatives will attend the USDA Sheep & Goat Sector Meetings in Washington, DC.
- October 16-21, 2018: AGF will exhibit at the American Dairy Goat Association Annual Meeting being held in Bloomington Minneapolis South, Minnesota. Read More
- October 23-26, 2018: AGF will exhibit at the National FFA Convention in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- January 22-26, 2019: 2019 American Goat Federation Annual Meeting and Producers Seminar will be held in New Orleans, Louisiana. Read More