AGF actively supports scientific research that benefits goat industry stakeholders and provides information to goat producers and the general public that help promote the industry and create a better understanding among the general public of what animal agriculture is all about. In addition to keeping goat industry professionals and stakeholders informed about programs, government decisions and events that impact the goat industry, AGF offers services to Individual and Affiliate members free of charge. Members are asked for their opinions about government plans that affect their operations. Members can also make requests to congress through the AGF delegation that visits Washington, DC each spring. Members can express interest in being part of the delegation. Members can attend AGF meetings and serve on AGF Committees. Members also provide input for the Sheep and Goat Sector meetings with USDA and other government agencies. Whenever AGF receives a survey request from universities, the government, USDA or other groups, members are given the access to the survey in order to respond. Members also have access to the Members Page of the website where they can view minutes of past meetings, internal memos, plans for future activities and other AGF information. To view the page members need to contact the office using their email of record when they joined for the password.
- Opportunities to add opinions and needs to national surveys that determine how federal money is spent (money that comes from the taxes goat producers pay).
- Opportunities to help find, initiate and support research that is beneficial to their operations.READ MORE
Excel-based Record Keeping, Production, Information & Performance Management Tool
Meets Scrapie ID & Recordkeeping Requirements
Producers have the option of keeping the data, or of recording data and sending it in to be evaluated by Dr. Andries, who will perform adjustments and return summary sheets to the producer. All files sent in to be summarized go directly to Dr. Andries and the information is not shared with anyone else, besides the producer. Those Summary Sheets will include:
- Birth and weaning weight adjusted for type of birth/rearing, sec, and age of dam
- Weaning weight adjusted to a 90 day standard
- Birth and weaning weight performance ratio
- Dam summary showing number of kids born/weaned, and total actual and adjusted birth and weaning weight for each doe.
- If sire ID has been provided, a sire summary with average actual and adjusted birth and weaning weights for each sire used and number of kids he sired at birth and weaning.
Over time information on overall averages and ranges will be provided to help the producer evaluate their herd.