MissionAssist AGF in Mission Achievement and support of the American Goat Initiative (AGI).
VisionThe AGF Advisory Council (Council) was created to aid AGF in gaining insight from the goat industry. The Council will provide strategic advice to the AGF Board on various industry, research, public policy and government trends that may impact the goat industry; direction on planned activities; and assistance with implementation of goals and objectives of AGF.
Tenure & MembershipCouncil members (Advisors) will serve a minimum term of one year and may serve longer terms according to their interest, availability, and the needs of AGF. Advisors receive AGF meeting announcements and other select information, and may attend AGF Board meetings at their discretion and expense. All members of the Council receive a complimentary individual membership in AGF (if they choose affiliate membership, they will receive a discount). Advisors are publicly recognized for their work on the Federation’s website and in appropriate publications and documents.
Scope of WorkFunctions of the Council may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Respond to requests for assistance and information in a timely manner.
- Identify and assist with grant proposals.
- Expand diversity of Council in order to better serve all areas of the goat industry.
- Assist the Federation with improved industry relations.
- Assist the Federation with marketing ideas and member recruitment.
- Assist the Federation with educational activities and provide AGF with information about goat-related programs, research, and conferences.
- Provide information about AGF, AGF materials and industry partner/membership information flyers at seminars, etc. when possible and appropriate.
- The Council may nominate individuals for consideration to serve on the Federation’s Board of Directors.
2019 GoalsThe goals for 2019 include the following:
- The Council will elect a chairman who will call for meetings and coordinate activities.
- The Council will meet quarterly by teleconference or more often as needed to achieve goals and act on scope of work assignments.
- The Council will work with the Board and recommend membership benefit strategies and when possible assist with member recruitment.
- Each Advisor will assist with fundraising activities when possible.
- Each Advisor will attend at least 1 event in their area where they can promote AGF and AGF’s efforts in AGI.
Dr. Frank PinkertonDr. Pinkerton, known to most as the goat man, stepped down from the Advisory Council in 2017 due to health issues. He is one of America's best known writers and speakers on meat goat nutrition, marketing, and management. After a career as an animal science professor and researcher in the U.S. and Asia, he retired from academia in 1993. While his current focus is on meat goats, he has extensive experience with dairy and angora goats.
Dr. Ken Andries [Kentucky]
Animal geneticist & Assoc Dean of the College of Agriculture, Communities, and Environment at Kentucky State University.
Email Ken ::
Call Ken: 502-229-7707
Dr. Roselle Busch [California]
Assistant Sheep & Goat Herd Health and Production Specialist, UC Davis Cooperative Extension
Email Roselle ::
Call Roselle: 530-574-8208
FIX THIS Biographical Information
Dr. Alison Crane [Kansas]
Email Alison ::
Term Expires: 12/31/2022
Dr. Nar Gurung [Alabama]
Director of Goat Education & Research Unit, Tuskegee University.
Email Nar ::
Call Nar: 334-727-8552
Dr. Nada Nadarajah [Alabama]
Senior Research Fellow in Breeding and Genetics at Auburn University Department of Animal Sciences.
Email Nada ::
Call Nada: 334-844-1502
Dr. An Peischel [Tennessee]
AGF Founding Director. She is a Ph.D. in Range Livestock Nutrition and retired from Tennessee State University. She owns Goats Unlimited.
Email An ::
Call An: 615-772-7467
Dr. Reid Redden [Texas]
Sheep and Goat Specialist and Assistant Professor at Texas A&M Agrilife Extension, and former Chairman of the National Sheep Improvement Program.
Email Reid ::
Dr. Natalie Urie [Colorado]
Veterinary Medical Officer at USDA/APHIS/VS/NSHMD
Email Natalie ::
Call Natalie: 970-494-7151
fix this - Biographical Information
Dr. Stephen White [Colorado]
USDA Animal Research Services
Email Stephen ::